Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 12:58:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

> Thanks.  This is promising, but it also means that some changes are
> needed in smtpmail-send-it to avoid the bad and the ugly part.  (And
> further discussions should probably move to emacs-devel.)
>
> Thank you for doing this, I think it will be a very important feature
> when it becomes available.

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your support.  I'm reading some code now and I start to
realize that *just* having an async SMTP sender in Emacs won't be that
easy.

An example: I'm using Gnus (and message.el) to send mail.  If you look
at 'message-send' (lisp/gnus/message.el#4396), that I guess is calling
'smtpmail-send-it' down the line, you'll see that it is "waiting" for a
synchronous 'success' to decide what to do next (for example, renaming
the buffer from *unsent...* to *sent...*).  This won't work as is with
an async SMTP sender.  I imagine that there are other places with code
like that and that it could break many workflow.
--
Manuel Giraud