Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:00:25 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 13:46:32 +0200
>>
>> FTR, I've tried the following:
>> (defun my-send-mail-function ()
>>   (make-thread #'smtpmail-send-it))
>>
>> (setq send-mail-function 'my-send-mail-function)
>>
>> This seems to work but I guess that you were thinking of something else.
>
> "Work" in what sense?  Were you able to do something in Emacs while
> the mail was being sent?  What happens if the send fails for some
> reason?  And how fast is it sent in your case, so that the "work" part
> could be evaluated in real-life conditions, when sending takes some
> time?  For example, what happens if you try to send a message with a
> very large attachment?

Hi,

FWIW, I've made some tests with this simplistic setup (just a
make-thread on smtpmail-send-it) and a toy SMTP server of mine.  This
server makes some random pause (50ms max) for each line it received.

The message had an image attachment to it resulting in many lines of
base64 encoded text.  So this mail takes about 12 minutes to send.

The good:

        - while doing this, Emacs was fully responsive: I have read some
          mails in Gnus, edit an org file, export it to PDF, delete
          files from dired...

The bad (and ugly):

        - the mail is considered *sent* right away even if the server
          hangs up in the middle of the transaction and the message is
          not sent :-/
--
Manuel Giraud