Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 05:54:39 +0000

Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>> Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:
>>
>>> What would be the first steps to support :make in package-vc?
>>
>> If you are interested in working on this, I would take a look at
>> `package-vc--unpack-1' which would probably be the best place for that.
>
> Thank you. Yes, I am interested in working on this.

Great!

>>> How shall we pass :doc and :make values from package-vc-install down to
>>> package-vc--build-documentation?
>>>
>>> Do we want to refactor package-vc-unpack-1 so that it accepts a pkg-spec
>>> argument? Or maybe add :doc an :make keys to the pkg-desc plist?
>>
>> :doc is passed via an argument, and :make would have to be handled
>> before.
>
> Okay!
>
>>> How about yes-or-no-p by default, with an customization option to
>>> automatically trust specs from a trusted package archive?
>>
>> The latter should work fine, but the first would only be possible in
>> interactive usage.
>
> Got it.
>
> I'd like to look at the ELPA code for handling :make. I tried grepping
> for ":make" in the Emacs and ELPA repos, but to no avail.

You have to look at elpa-admin.el, the "reference interpretation" for
how package specifications are supposed to work.  It is located on a
separate branch in elpa.git (so that it can be shared between elpa.git
and nongnu.git).

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/elpa-admin.el?h=elpa-admin

> Mind pointing me in the right direction?

Ping me if you need anything else, and submit a bug report with a patch
as soon as you have something workable.  Add a

header so that I get notified as well.