Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs

From: Joseph Turner
Subject: Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:54:19 -0700

What would be the first steps to support :make in package-vc?

> Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:
>
>> Thank you Ruijie Yu and Philip Kaludercic for your help!
>>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
>>
>> Actually, it looks like extra plist elements like :doc are stripped away
>> in package-vc--unpack. package-vc--unpack doesn't pass its pkg-spec arg
>> along to package-vc--unpack-1. package-vc--unpack-1 then calls
>> package-vc--desc->spec, which gets the spec anew from ELPA IIUC.
>>
>> Regardless, I believe the issue lies elsewhere, see below.

How shall we pass :doc and :make values from package-vc-install down to
package-vc--build-documentation?

Do we want to refactor package-vc-unpack-1 so that it accepts a pkg-spec
argument? Or maybe add :doc an :make keys to the pkg-desc plist?

> You are right (and I totally missed the :make entry in the specification
> above).  Package-vc did intentionally NOT add :make or :shell-command
> support, for the sake of user safety.  It wouldn't be difficult to
> implement this, if we could find a way to make it reasonably safe
> (e.g. if the user has to opt-in or we trust package specifications if
> they were delivered by a trusted package archive).

How about yes-or-no-p by default, with an customization option to
automatically trust specs from a trusted package archive?