Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: package-vc-install fails to build docs
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:27:49 +0000

Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Joseph Turner <joseph@breatheoutbreathe.in> writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> With emacs -Q, package-vc-install fails to install the manual for
>> org-transclusion as described here:
>>
>> https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion/issues/182
>>
>> I attempted to fix the issue by renaming the manual file from
>> docs/org-transclusion-manual.org -> docs/org-transclusion.org
>> but the problem persists.
>>
>> Can anyone else reproduce this issue?
>
> I'm looking at the package-vc source code, and it doesn't seem to try to
> autodetect any doc files at the moment.  Try adding `:doc` in your
> `package-vc-install' call and see if anything changes.

Right, if you just pass a URL, then package-vc has no metadata.  But
since org-transclusion is on ELPA, you can invoke it like this:

  (package-vc-install 'org-transclusion)

then it should re-use the package specification that GNU ELPA provides.
If you invoke package-vc-install interactively, it would also prompt you
with this package name.

That being said, I just tried it out and it seems that it still doesn't
work because of a discrepancy between the package specification on ELPA
that mentions docs/org-transclusion.org to be the documentation file

 (org-transclusion      :url "https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion";
  :make "org-transclusion.org"
  :doc "docs/org-transclusion.org"
  :readme "README.org")

and as you say the fact that the actual manual lies in
docs/org-transclusion-manual.org.  But this is an issue that should
either be fixed in ELPA if the maintainer wishes this file to be used,
or upstream if this is a mistake.

--
Philip Kaludercic