Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:29:20 +0200

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
> Hi Marcin,
>
>> Nope.  I was too lazy to look for the reason (so thanks for finding that
>> out for me!), since it didn't happen very often, but it's /very/
>> frustrating when it happens - basically, I can't do anything and my
>> Emacs is blocked (especially if I TRAMPed to a machine in my office
>> I don't have access to at home, for instance).
>
> For this very use case, Tramp offers the commands tramp-rename-files and
> tramp-rename-these-files. See (info "(tramp) Renaming remote files")
>
> Yes, I know, almost nobody reads manuals. But perhaps you give it a
> try?

Wow, I guess I should have read the manual :-) This seems powerful but
maybe a little bit convoluted.  And most of the time, I do not need the
remote files elsewhere (i.e. they are on this remote host for a reason
after all).  And then there is the issue of getting those files « back »
to the remote host.  So I think I'll stick to
`tramp-cleanup-all-connections' but it is impressive to see what TRAMP
could do.

Best regards,
--
Manuel Giraud