Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:12:30 +0200

Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Whenever Emacs creates a non file buffer (for instance with
> 'M-x man'), it sets its default-directory from the one of
> the buffer you are into. Most of the time, I don't think it
> matters but for remote buffers.
>
> A remote default-directory could go "disconnected" (e.g.
> lost of ssh after moving network, end of credential after
> a timeout for sudo...) In this case, I use
> 'tramp-cleanup-all-connections' but this will also close any
> *Man* buffers with this default-directory.

Interesting, why do you do `tramp-cleanup-all-connections'?

Anyway, when I do

  M-x man RET man RET

and then

  M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections RET

the man buffer is still there.

Sounds like maybe you are doing the man page view in
a remote shell?

Otherwise, I don't see why those should be related ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal