Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 11:12:53 +0200

On 2023-04-15, at 09:31, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 08:12:55AM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>>
>> On 2023-04-14, at 18:11, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> > Anyway: my employers so far have decided that they can trust
>> > my judgement wrt data security, thanks $DEITY.
>>
>> That's of course a pleasant experience, but I still think this
>> discussion is worthwhile.
>
> For sure, and I am glad for that. Still, it's a bit jarring to me
> what people are willing to accept without complaints because it
> comes from $EMPLOYER. Did it come from the state, they'd all be
> yelling dictatorship (with a reason). Why does an employer get a
> free pass on that?

Good point.  I often think that slaves in antiquity, peasants in the
Middle Ages (which were much more civilized times than most people think
- in fact, it may be the case that the so-called "Middle Ages" were the
golden age of our civilization, and we have only declined since then, at
least in moral and political terms) and employees today are in a very
much similar position.  And quite possibly it was even better to be
a peasant 600 years ago than a corporate employee today.

> I mean: sometimes you have no choice if you want to go buy bread,
> but rationalising that behaviour goes too far for my taste.

You might be right, but I would be very cautious with judgements in
individual cases.  (But you know that already, of course.)

>> Also, I've seen e.g. reckless developers enamored by ChatGPT and
>> similar, LLM-based tools, happily providing company information to
>> them...
>
> Yes: trust in your employees is an investment: as an employer you
> have to put resources into education and into building a trust
> relationship. But it pays off handsomely.

Agreed.

> If, as an employer,  you insist into treating your employees as a
> disposable resource, you'll get every data leak you deserve.

Agreed, too.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski