Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:10:46 +0200

On 2023-04-14, at 16:36, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
> Hi Marcin,
>
>>> Hopefully, others will answer and/or help corroborate (or refine) my
>>> answers.  Don't be embarrassed.  It's embarrassing that
>>
>> I guess some internet beast swallowed the rest of your letter, but
>> I second the message that OP should /not/ be embarrassed.  Silly jokes
>> aside, the question is a valid one.  In fact, there is one area I am
>> a bit afraid of wrt Emacs & security, and if I may hijack the thread (a
>> bit), let me ask this: if I edit remote files via TRAMP, can I be sure
>> not even partial copy of data from the server ends up on my local drive,
>> e.g. in /tmp?
>
> You can be sure that a copy of your remote data end up in your local
> drive in /tmp. Tramp is busy to clenaup after the operations, but there
> is no guarantee that it will cover everything. And if somebody calls
> `file-local-copy' of a remote file, this ends up in your /tmp by
> intention of the caller.

Thanks for the info.  This doesn't look very bad to me, as my `/tmp`
resides in RAM, but still -- good to know.  I might want to add cleaning
up `/tmp` to things I do when I leave work.

>> Also, one area one should be probably /very/ careful are packages which
>> save "Emacs session" to disk.  If the "session" includes the kill ring,
>> it may happen (/especially/ if one uses TRAMP to edit remote .env files
>> and similar stuff) that some password ends up there, which could be
>> a /very/ serious leakage.
>
> I cannot speak about environment files, but Tramp is very careful about
> passwords. It has delegated password handling completely to
> auth-source.el, which manages all kind of passwords, locally or
> remote. So passwords is not an exclusive Tramp problem.

Sounds good -- but again, I'm talking about e.g. killing and yanking
passwords.  I imagine this is less of a problem in "traditional" editors
using the concept of "clipboard" which can hold one item -- but Emacs
has the kill ring which has a long memory...

I sometimes use `browse-kill-ring` to clear it, and I don't use any
"session saving", but this is something that I think needs to be taken
into account.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski