Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text

From: Platon Pronko
Subject: Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 13:48:55 +0800

On 2023-04-10 13:35, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
For non-zero width overlays, it is quite easy to have
point to each side of the overlay's "border": it depends
on which side you are coming from. For me, at least, it
is intuitive.

Does it work that way for you? For me the default non-propertized overlay
always shows the cursor at the end, regardless of which direction I arrived
from.

Here's the test file I used:

```
ABEF

(defun test-overlay-cursor (completion pt)
  (remove-overlays)
  (save-excursion
    (let* ((p-completion (propertize completion 'face 'error))
           (ov (make-overlay pt pt nil t t)))
      (overlay-put ov 'display "")
      (overlay-put ov 'after-string p-completion)))
  (goto-char 0))
(test-overlay-cursor "CD" 3)
```

I can navigate so I see "AB{CD}<cursor>EF" or "A<cusor>B{CD}EF", but I can't get the cursor to
be before the overlay: "AB<cursor>{CD}EF".

Of course one can add properties to the overlay to get the cursor be positioned
always in front, but then you can't get to show it at end.

The main point of the discussion is that it would be nice if it would be possible use usual navigation commands
to get from "AB<cusror>{CD}EF" to "AB{CD}<cusor>EF".

--
Best regards,
Platon Pronko