Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 07:35:49 +0200

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 09:52:54AM +0800, Platon Pronko wrote:
> On 2023-04-09 22:49, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > What I don't understand is why the overlay doesn't cover the
> > whole argument value instead of sticking before it. Perhaps
> > this would ease some of the problems?
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Why should it?
>
> (maybe there's a confusion because of the words - what is being used here is
> technically a zero-width overlay, so it's not "overlaying" anything, it's
> probably better to call it "inlay")

I did understand that it is a zero-width overlay, so the
description wasn't confusing to me.

> Anyway, even if you make this overlay to cover something it won't solve the
> problem - it still won't be possible to navigate the cursor to be before or
> after the hint.

For non-zero width overlays, it is quite easy to have
point to each side of the overlay's "border": it depends
on which side you are coming from. For me, at least, it
is intuitive.

Quite possibly I'm not understanding what you are trying
to achieve. The mental model I got from your description
is that the overlay describes some property of the arg
value in question (the name given to the corresponding
formal argument elsewhere in the function declaration
viz. definition). That's why I'd expect the overlay to
cover /all/ of the arg value (and let it grow and shrink
automatically as the latter is edited by the user).

But, as said, perhaps I'm lost in the woods.If yes, then
sorry for that :)

Cheers