Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Moving point around empty overlays with 'after-text
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 07:56:07 +0300

> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 09:52:54 +0800
> From: Platon Pronko <platon7pronko@gmail.com>
>
> Anyway, even if you make this overlay to cover something it won't solve the
> problem - it still won't be possible to navigate the cursor to be before or
> after the hint.

I don't understand from this discussion why would you want to move the
cursor to be before or after the hint.  I also don't understand why,
if you do need to move the cursor, adding or removing the 'cursor'
property to the overlay string would not solve that.

More generally, what is the requested functionality here and/or the
problem you are trying to solve?  Can you explain that clearly in
terms of user-facing features and behaviors?