Re: [External] : Passing buffers to function in elisp

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [External] : Passing buffers to function in elisp
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 07:40:48 +0100

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 10:08:11PM +0200, Petteri Hintsanen wrote:
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:21:47PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote:
> >> What is it that you're really trying to do?
> >
> > That's exactly the point, yes.
>
> Specifics, as usual, are somewhat messy.  But I try to summarize below.

[...]

Thanks for this very interesting dive :)

It seems you so deeper in the rabbit hole that my general handwaving
doesn't do justice to it.

I'd suggest to call `garbage-collect' explicitly from some
strategic point in your code will tell you what kinds (and
how many) of objects have been collected. You could then at
least have a rough idea on where to focus your efforts (are
the many buffers killing you -- or rather loads and loads
of small cons pairs? Or those many vectors?)

There are many knobs and variables to "look into" what the
garbage collector is thinking, see "Garbage Collection" and
"Memory Usage" in Appendix E of the Elisp manual (the Web
version is here [1], if you prefer that).

Thanks for hacking :-)

Cheers

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/GNU-Emacs-Internals.html