Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 % faster than natively compiled Elisp

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: stats say SBCL is 78 875 % faster than natively compiled Elisp
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 08:58:05 +0300

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2023-02-18 23:23]:
> > Speed does not matter for purposes I need, like sales,
> > handling people, communicating with people.
>
> Speed always matters in computing.

You have generalized my personal specific answer.

To find out if speed matters you would need to ask people to
understand their personal needs. General statements may not be always
practically useful. What really matters is the use for people.

I have been programming in Perl, it gave me useful life period. Then
there was HTML rendering in Perl. Personally I had to consider whole
system that was of use for me as human, the Perl programming language,
an browser that was displaying the rendered HTML as program
application GUI. I have tried using it from CLI by using Common
Lisp. I cannot say that Common Lisp os so "Common". Every
implementation is different. For simple programming functions I have
to change to this or that implementation. And integration of packages
is not smooth as one expects it. Let me say it is worse, not as
reliable, than Perl package (CPAN). Is speed the only factor? I don't
think so. Then I tried it out with Emacs Lisp, and because there are
many features already built-in it spares me time of programming.

Emacs offers GUI already, hyperlinks (buttons). Imagine only those two
features for example. Then simple function can list those files
hyperlinked and let me as user click to see the generated PDF with the
invoice. Does it matter that some milliseconds pass? No.

Another example is searching for particular contact in the database,
sometimes it would take longer time, like 1-2 seconds. But I know how
to speed it up. Would it be faster with Common Lisp? Probably, but
personally does not matter, as the features in Emacs are taken for
granted and spare my time to program. In the same way the PostgreSQL
database spare my time to program.

And finally, there is no HTML rendering, no browser, and it all comes
faster than with the HTML GUI.

Could I do it with Common Lisp faster? Probably yes, but in the end I
would spend more time programming it, as Common Lisp does not have
integrated features like Emacs.

If you do know how to quickly create Common Lisp GUI with spreadsheet,
that I can change keybindings on every different listing, with
multiple instances running in the same time (multiple buffers) then
let me know. I would like to use it, but I did not find solution.

In Emacs one can detect what other buffers are displayed, move object
from one buffer's place to other buffer's place.

tabulated-list-mode gives me that solution built-in, I can list
database objects and do something on them. It is most similar to
spreadshet widget. As much as I look into GUIs for Common Lisp, I
cannot easily find solution. I would need to program too much. At
least that is my impression.

Which solution for the above description can be replaced by Common Lisp?
https://common-lisp.net/libraries

I would like to know, as I want to try it out.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman