Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: Scrolling terminal output in Emacs
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:20:43 -0500

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 09:33:18AM -0500, Galen Boyer wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been asked 100 times I'm just not sure how to pinpoint
>> the description so I'm not finding the answer.
>>
>> I just downloaded and set myself up for using Ubuntu on Windows.  I've
>> gotten my Emacs/Cygwin workspace on windows mimic'd on Ubuntu with
>> Cygwin.
>>
>> But, when I kick off some commands, such as "git diff XXX" the output
>> gives me a page and then the ":".  Is there a way to tell my environment
>> I never want pagination?  I want it all to come to the "console".  Of
>> course I want that because I can scroll the output with Emacs.
>
> By default, git sends its output trough a pager (when it thinks there is
> a terminal at the other end). You can change that by invoking commands
> with the option --no-pager

This worked for git but then I get the same behaviour from other
command-line scripts, for example, GCP's gcloud.  But found the
following
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62675616/how-to-get-non-interactive-text-output-with-gcloud-help-command

This idea,

    export PAGER=cat
    gcloud --help

So, tried that and it worked for gcloud.  Went back to git and it also
worked for that.

Thanks for the --no-pager.  In the end, that actually allowed me a better google
search term which was truly my initial reason for having to post a question.

--
Galen Boyer