Re: Unexpected fill-paragraph behaviour in message-mode

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Unexpected fill-paragraph behaviour in message-mode
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:07:28 +0300

* Ryan Kavanagh <rak@rak.ac> [2023-02-13 17:42]:
> Is there an alternate mode I should be using when compose emails
> with non-emacs MUAs?

I use all time best e-mail client for Emacs, also known as Mutt. I
know it is external and non-Emacs.

My setting is peculiar:

macro compose 0 ":set editor=mutt-record-email.lisp<enter><edit-headers>:set
editor=emacsclient<enter>"

as I like to record e-mail externally, for statistics and other
macros, but normal setting would be:

set editor=emacsclient

> Looking at the source in message.el, it usually finds the separation
> between header and body using:
>
>     (re-search-forward
>            (concat "^" (regexp-quote mail-header-separator) "$")
>
> It would be nice to be able to use emacs as an editor with non-emacs
> MUAs

The above is not much relevant to your quest.

Any external MUA can use Emacs either directly by "emacs" command or
"emacsclient".

> so I wonder if I shouldn't file a bug report asking message.el to
> fallback on the RFC (and set mail-header-separator to "") in the cases
> where "--text follows this line--" is missing.

I may say how I do it:

M-x mail to compose e-mails. I have more easier way to do it, I can
compose directly to all people by single click, where my identity and
recipient, including Cc, Bcc is all setup correctly. Mail is first
saved in file, and later sorted in Maildirs, e-mail is dispatched.

To read e-mails, I use Mutt

The Mutt E-Mail Client:
http://mutt.org/

and I am so much more efficient than with any Emacs client, but any
MUA can be used, including Thunderbird, it has external editor option
(or internal).

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns