Re: GTK theme while running emacs without gnome shell

From: cheyrn
Subject: Re: GTK theme while running emacs without gnome shell
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 04:25:34 -0000

On Saturday, February 11, 2023 5:42 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>     Kenned Doll via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
>     <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
>     > I built emacs 28.1 from source on ubuntu 22.04 running under WSL2 on
>     > windows 11. I have the theme specified using the GTK_THEME environment
>     > variable. The theme works as expected in gnome-terminal and nautilus,
>     > but for emacs it only works within the window. The border and title
>     > bar are white and I'm using Adwaita-dark theme.
>     >
>     > So, first, do you know how I can get the theme to apply to the title
>     > bar and border?
>     >
>     > Also, I thought the titlebar and border were ordinarily supplied by a
>     > desktop manager or desktop shell. Since I'm not running a DM, where is
>     > that coming from?
>
>     Since you are using weasel and Emacs 28, it comes from weasel's window
>     manager, which is based on Weston.  I don't think it can be changed.
>     >

Someone on reddit pointed me to how this can be solved. Pure GTK was
integrated into master. So, with master or emacs-30 using the --with-pgtk
option gets you emacs built with pure GTK.

For whatever reason this didn't work for me until I used:

make bootstrap configure="--with-pgtk ..."

<https://batsov.com/articles/2021/12/19/building-emacs-from-source-with-pgtk/>

cheyrn