Emacs Freezing With Java Files

From: Hank Greenburg
Subject: Emacs Freezing With Java Files
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:26:03 +0000

Sorry if this sent twice, I wasn't on the mailing list and didn't find it in
the archives (which update every 15 minutes?).

I have a few Java files that are about 500 lines of code and I can't move
around in them much before Emacs freezes. I first thought it was java-lsp but
it still happened after disabling and uninstalling it. I also uninstalled
lsp-mode as well, but that didn't change anything.

I started doing CPU profiles of it and found that which-function-mode was
taking up 67% of my CPU usage. While this is happening all I was doing was
holding the down arrow until it froze about 350 lines in. Didn't press any
other buttons.

So I disabled which-function-mode and moved around the buffer just fine! Though
when trying to edit the file (just hit enter), it froze again. This time it
seems like electric-indent-mode was taking up close to 50% of my CPU usage.

I disabled that and tried again and then it froze again with
c-indent-line-or-region eating up 63% of my CPU when I use TAB.

While using debug-on-quit I get the below output. Any idea what's happening
here and how it can be addressed? I tried large files of other types and it
only seems to happen with Java files. I attached screenshots of the CPU
profiler outputs for each of the three scenarios.

I thought about submitting a bug report but I can't figure out what is
fundamentally the cause here. I do know though that if I launch emacs with the
-Q argument, then there aren't any problems at all.

I am using emacs version 28.2 on EndeavorOS.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
beginning-of-defun()
c-get-fallback-scan-pos(17794)
c-parse-state-get-strategy(17794 1)
c-parse-state-1()
c-parse-state()
c-guess-basic-syntax()
c-indent-line()
#f(compiled-function () (interactive nil) #<bytecode 0x180248dcca1cc57e>)()
c-indent-command(nil)
c-indent-line-or-region(nil nil)
funcall-interactively(c-indent-line-or-region nil nil)
call-interactively(c-indent-line-or-region nil nil)
command-execute(c-indent-line-or-region)