Re: Lookarounds and recursion in Emacs regexes

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Lookarounds and recursion in Emacs regexes
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 12:46:12 +0300

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2023-02-05 16:15]:

> >> People don't love Python like they do Lisp, but no doubt it
> >> has it's good sides - development speed not the least.
> >
> > Do you want to say that development speed in Lisp is slower
> > than in Python?
>
> Lisp is a family of languages, if we talk Elisp then Elisp is
> faster for anything Emacs related obviously, if we talk
> everything else then Python is faster.

Faster for development?

Faster for speed processing by programming language?

Subject is development, not speed.

I do not know if it exists for Python, but for Emacs Lisp, all
references exists within Emacs. That helps for speed of development.

I cannot know for Python how can I see definition of the function, is
there any way to see that?

> If we talk Common Lisp vs Python, then Python is, in
> general, faster.

For Common Lisp I can access all functions and their definitions from
within the Common Lisp itself.

Great design!

For Python, I see that many things are not integrated in Emacs, and
getting symbol descriptions, functions, information, it is not easy,
and is error prone. I installed `jedi' package, but I see I get not
conclusive error messages and I cannot get information for Python
functions.

User is disabled by design.

That Python development would be faster, I can't say for Emacs editor.

Regarding language itself, maybe you could tell "why" do you consider
development with Python faster?

> We then consider the languages themselves, the technology around,
> but also the huge spread of Python while Lisp is either a fringe
> language or - actually that's our common ground - the underground.

You have not explained specifics. I cannot get you. I get opinion, but
not specific.

I gave you one specific on developing Emacs Lisp in Emacs, versus
developing Python, which function descriptions are not easily
accessible.

Developing Emacs Lisp in Vim would become harder for that reason.

Editor is one important aspect of it.

"Huge spread" of Python is indication of something, I do not know what
you mean with it. Maybe you mean that number of people knowing Python
would be helpful in development? I can understand it from there.

If language is "fringe", I cannot see how that influences development,
apart from maybe not having other people to exchange with them.

For example, I could easily program in this programming language, much
"fringe", and I could find all references, books, just anything:

Icon (programming language) - Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_(programming_language)

What are Icon's distinguishing characteristics:
https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/icon/uguide/faq.htm#features

I just guess I would have no problems with that one and speedy
development, it is for reason of being well documented.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman