Re: Tools for those working heavily with strings

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Tools for those working heavily with strings
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 23:04:04 +0300

* carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-07-24 14:43]:
> What can I use to test whether a string in composed of whitespace or is empty?

string-empty-p is a byte-compiled Lisp function in ‘simple.el’.

(string-empty-p STRING)

(string-empty-p "") ⇒ t

But for my understanding string may be considered empty if it has
white space only, thus:

(string-blank-p "         ") ⇒ 0

string-blank-p is a byte-compiled Lisp function in ‘subr-x.el’.

(string-blank-p STRING)

Check whether STRING is either empty or only whitespace.
The following characters count as whitespace here: space, tab, newline and
carriage return.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns