Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 02:40:11 +0300

* carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-07-17 01:09]:

> Jul 15, 2022, 21:31 by bugs@gnu.support:
>
> > * carlmarcos@tutanota.com <carlmarcos@tutanota.com> [2022-07-16 00:23]:
> >
> >> Yes, I realise that.  I see that (interactive) is misleading.
> >> Although "read-from-minibuffer" cannot be called from M-x, it still
> >> asks for input through the minibuffer.  Notwithstanding   that
> >> normal programming language code does not customarily lead to user
> >> input during run-time, particularly when automation is pursued.
> >>

> > Emacs Lisp is what it is. Text editor IS interactive as by the context
> > of English language. Declaration "(interactive)" is not misleading as
> > it has pretty good description what it is. If you however, do not
> > understand any word in that description, let us know.
> >

> It is misleading when you do not use it, but having the body run
> minibuffer commands in the body.  If you want to make a function
> without ever interacting with the user (with either M-x or
> whatever), then calling any minibuffer functionality in the body is
> contrary to what you want to do.  That's all I am saying.

Emacs is very interactive.

Do you maybe think that functions without (interactive) declaration
shall not ask user anything?

When invoked only from Lisp there are many uses for such functions.

Does it really need to be text input to be considered interactive?

Logging of activities may be displayed in a buffer, that is
interactive too. Input alone is not interaction. Changing Emacs style
is also interaction and need not be invoked interactively.

What about this? I am just looking into some files and I find many of
functions do have strong interactivity, and they are on my side called
form Lisp. I need not call them from M-x or have them as a command
just because functions is interacting with user.

(defun my-alarm ()
  (start-process "Alarm" "Alarm" "mpv"
"/home/data1/protected/Media/Videos/Rooster Crowing Compilation Plus - Rooster
crowing sounds Effect 2016.mp4"))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns