RE: [External] : Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Placement of list within an interactive clause
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:52:27 +0000

> > Maybe going through the "Introduction to Emacs Lisp" (see "Help =>
> > More Manual => Introduction to Emacs Lisp" in the menu) will be helpful.
>
> Can you make clear what sections should I read to answer my question?

<unsolicited-advice>

Please understand that you don't have one question.
You have 8 zillion.  Nothing wrong with having lots
of questions.  But many that you have would be
answered by reading some of that manual - I'm sure
of that - 100%.

It's an "introduction".  It starts at the beginning.
And that's where _you_ should start, for maximum
benefit.

It may seem easier to toss every question over the
fence without a basic understanding.  But sooner or
later you might find that the answers you get may
be thinner and thinner.

More preparation usually gets rewarded with better
questions and then better answers.  The best thing
you can do to help yourself is to learn to Ask Emacs.

Asking Emacs includes taking advantage of its
documentation - just as much as its communities
here & there.

The manuals come with good indexes - use `i' (with
completion).  You're looking for info about `list',
it sounds like.  Make friends with `i'.  You'll
still have friends here, and you may even be more
likely to keep them. ;-)

Other than `i', you're shown the Table of Contents
at the outset.  The VERY FIRST topic in the TOC,
after `Preface', is `List Processing'.  Sound like
a good place to start?  Click it...

1 List Processing
*****************

To the untutored eye, Lisp is a strange programming language.  In Lisp
code there are parentheses everywhere.  Some people even claim that the
name stands for “Lots of Isolated Silly Parentheses”.  But the claim is
unwarranted.  Lisp stands for LISt Processing, and the programming
language handles _lists_ (and lists of lists) by putting them between
parentheses.  The parentheses mark the boundaries of the list.
Sometimes a list is preceded by an apostrophe ‘'’, called a
“single-quote” in Lisp.(1)  Lists are the basis of Lisp.

* Menu:

* Lisp Lists::                  What are lists?
* Run a Program::               Any list in Lisp is a program ready to run.
* Making Errors::               Generating an error message.
* Names & Definitions::         Names of symbols and function definitions.
* Lisp Interpreter::            What the Lisp interpreter does.
* Evaluation::                  Running a program.
* Variables::                   Returning a value from a variable.
* Arguments::                   Passing information to a function.
* set & setq::                  Setting the value of a variable.
* Summary::                     The major points.
* Error Message Exercises::

</unsolicited-advice>