RE: RE: [External] : Making a function than can only be used interactiv

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: RE: [External] : Making a function than can only be used interactively
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 16:34:39 +0000

> > Has any concrete description been presented
> > in this thread that makes clear what the real
> > problem to be solved is - the use case behind
> > the question?
>
> The filling of arguments could be difficult
> if a sequence of interactive prompt depend
> on previous values.

Hard to guess what you mean.  Example?

What's to prevent someone from calling the
function (whatever it is) with appropriate
arguments, whether or not some of them depend
on others?

> One thing that has been discussed is the following
> (defun foo ()
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((a ...)
>        (b ...)
>        (c ...))
>   ...))

Didn't Stefan show that only to indicate that
you can prompt for values in the body of a
function, instead of (or in addition to) doing
so in an `interactive' spec?

IOW, presumably he was suggesting that some of
the "..." to provide values for a, b, and c
could come from prompting a user - IOW, making
the function interactive regardless of how
it's called.

I don't see what that has to do with any
problem of "filling arguments" when calling
from Lisp.

Sorry, but so far I'm not grasping what the
problem is - what OP is really trying to do.

But again, I only skimmed the thread.  If you
think the question / use case is clear to
others then please ignore my feedback.