Re: pgtk does not do subpixel rendering

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: pgtk does not do subpixel rendering
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:25:39 +0200

Hallöchen!

Po Lu writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> I indeed used a too old Emacs (the Git HEAD of 14th March).
>> However, the current HEAD exhibits the same behaviour for me: No
>> subpixel rendering under Wayland on a low-res display if I compile
>> with --with-pgtk, and subpixel rendering without --with-pgtk.
>
> What happens if you run Emacs under Xwayland?

Frankly, I don’t know how to check whether Emacs uses Xwayland.  If
I compile with --with-x I would expect it to do always, but is this
the case?

> And are you sure that what you see is really because subpixel
> anti-aliasing is not being performed, and not because your hinting
> preferences are not being respected?

What I do is pretty crude: I make a screenshot and look at it in
Gimp heavily magnified.  With pgtk, I see only greyscale at the rim
of the glyphs, and without pgtk, I see pixels of various colours
(greenish/reddish).  This coincides with my subjective observation
that in the latter case, the text is crisper.

I do see subpixels in the menu text of other applications as well as
in the Chromium browser, in the same Gnome session as Emacs.

Regards,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger