RE: [External] : don't show dired header

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : don't show dired header
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 03:43:56 +0000

> I think this line
>
>   /home/incal/.emacs.d/emacs-init: (32.8 GiB available)
>
> is pretty meaningless, can I disable it and instead get an
> extra line to list the directory files?

No, not out of the box, as far as I know.

It's not really meaningless, but it may not
be very useful for you (and that's what
counts).  To not include it you'll need to
tweak or advise some Dired functions, I think.
___

That line might not appear very useful if you
never list more than one directory in a Dired
buffer (though even then it can help).

But be aware of `i', which inserts a subdir
listing (which can have its own `ls' switches
etc.) in the same Dired buffer.

When you have an inserted subdir listing, its
own dir header line is maybe more helpful to
you, to recognize its listing, than is the
top-level dir heading.

A Dired buffer can have any number of dir
listings.  You can mark files in any of them,
act on the marked files, etc.  Dired actions
are thus not limited to the files and subdirs
of only one directory.  You can act on
anything that's listed in the buffer.

`C-M-n' and `C-M-p' take you the next and
previous such inserted subdir listing.  (`>'
and `<' take you to the next and previous
dir name in a listing.)

`C-M-u' and `C-M-d' take you up and down a
listing level.  E.g., if you have inserted
listings for .../a/, .../a/b/, .../a/b/c/,
and if point is in the .../a/b/c/ listing,
then `C-M-u' twice, or `C-2 C-M-u', takes
you to the listing for .../a/.
___

[If you use `dired+.el' then `i' flips point
back and forth between a subdir entry in a
parent listing and the inserted listing for
that subdir.]