Re: Does Richard M. Stallman still scrutinize and develop the codes of E

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Does Richard M. Stallman still scrutinize and develop the codes of Emacs now?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:03:00 +0200

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 08:53:14PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Last I read on an article comparing emacs and vim, Stephen Monier had the
> emacs lead passed to him by Richard Stallman and the fact that emacs has a
> line of succession made it different from vim in that vim had no clear
> line of succession.

I wonder what article that is. Vim is alive and well, and still maintained
by Bram Moolenaar (last sign of life I could gather with a quick Internet
search 2020-11-11 [1]). Now Vim is by far not as active and lively as Emacs
is, but "no clear line of succession" smells of over-simplification to me.

There are forks of vim (e.g. NeoVim), but hey, there have been important
forks of Emacs too (LucidEmacs/XEmacs). I'm not the one to decide whether
such a fork is a good thing or not, but once the fork is there, it's a
wonderful chance to learn from each other. And free software makes exactly
this possible.

So tell your article authors they should do better research :-)

Cheers
 - t