Re:   and nXML mode

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re:   and nXML mode
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:19:04 +0700

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 12:46, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> I thought the recommended way to "do &bnsp;" in XML is to use an
> actual NBSP character (because XML can use utf-8).

It can, but it might be desirable to have visible and typeable[*]
representation for unusual space characters, especially if there’s not
much nbsp awareness among those who are going to collaborate on a
document.

[*]: I mean visibility and typeability by muggles, i.e. without
relying on Emacs fontification, C-x 8 RET, or Xkb options. Otherwise:

Co-worker: (sends you a patch)

You: This space here should be non-breaking, we don’t want
prepositions hanging on the previous line when the next word gets
wrapped.

Co-worker: What's a non-breaking space?

You: (explain)

Co-worker: But how do I type one? BTW I'm on Windows.

You: (try to explain but don’t remember how to configure Windows
keyboard layouts) Here, just copy one of those already in the text.

Co-worker: But how do I tell which are which? They look exactly the same to me.