RE: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:25:44 +0000

> > Isn't it better to use path formatting function instead of
> > string formatting to ensure platform indepent paths
>
> If the path is a string and the filename is a string joining
> them with "string formatting" is pretty natural I think?
>
> Or what do you think one should do to put together for example
> the complete path ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/erc/erc-iterate.el ?

Put together how? from what?

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/File-Names.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/File-Name-Components.html

> That path (and the entire) file isn't platform independent to
> begin with and has never been used outside the Unix world BTW,
> but why not add that for fun if there is a way that is
> better...

Actually, ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/erc/erc-iterate.el
is completely _platform independent_ when used in
Emacs.  Emacs takes care of platform differences /
oddities automatically.

Automatically, that is, provided code uses Elisp
file-name functions (or the predefined commands
that use them)...

Yes, this is one of the things that the file-name
functions you seem so terrorized by do for you.

And this is presumably why the OP specifically
mentioned that for his own use he didn't need to
worry about such differences.  (Which is true, as
far as it goes.)

Is Emacs "outside the Unix world" because it does
this for you?  If so, so be it.