Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 14:21:12 +0300

* Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> [2021-06-18 14:55]:

> > > Have found that calling (icomplete-vertical-mode 1) without
> > > first calling (icomplete-mode 1), does not enable
> > > (icomplete-vertical-mode 1).
>
> Yes, this is intended. icomplete-vertical-mode is a submode of
> icomplete.

Now we know it is not only related to `icomplete' it is also related
to `fido-mode'.

Additionally the documentation is not clear that it works only within
`icomplete-mode' or `fido-mode'

> icomplete-vertical-mode is an autoloaded interactive Lisp closure in
> ‘icomplete.el’.

> (icomplete-vertical-mode &optional ARG)

>   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.

> Toggle vertical candidate display in ‘icomplete-mode’ or
> ‘fido-mode’.

The above does not tell me clearly that I have to first enable one of
those modes for `icomplete-vertical-mode' to work. This may be clear
to person writing it, I don't feel it is enough for users.

> If called interactively, toggle ‘Icomplete-Vertical mode’.  If
> the prefix argument is positive, enable the mode, and if it is
> zero or negative, disable the mode.

The above even further establishes the fact that this function can be
or could be called alone to toggle it.

> If called from Lisp, toggle the mode if ARG is ‘toggle’.  Enable
> the mode if ARG is nil, omitted, or is a positive number.
> Disable the mode if ARG is a negative number.

The above again establishes more information how it would work alone
without dependencies.

Maybe documentation shall be improved to tell that one has to call
first one or the other mode and that `icomplete-vertical-mode'
functions only under one of those two.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns