icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: arvid-harnack
Subject: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:20:43 +0200 (CEST)

From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: 20/06/2021 13:03:06 Europe/Paris
Cc: arvid-harnack@lavache.com;
   help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>;
   Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2021-06-20 13:45]:
> Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 02:03, <arvid-harnack@lavache.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There have been a number op people who agree that the mode enabling
> >> feels very surprising. The answer one gets is - "it is designed that way".
> >
> > You have been given a sound reason: ‘icomplete-vertical-mode’ can be
> > used with either ‘icomplete-mode’ or ‘fido-mode’. If it automatically
> > enabled ‘icomplete-mode’, it would no longer work with ‘fido-mode’.
>
> I'm not that convinced by this, because icomplete-vertical-mode could
> check if fido-mode is enabled, and if not enable icomplete-vertical
> mode.

It is maybe possible that the attitude of reporter influenced the
review of the code.

It is also likely that my struggles are not isolated.  There
exist many states with hidden side effects and interactions
everywhere) that writing extensions for it is much harder than it
should be. It has enough history and a smart enough user base to
have a lot of cool functionality, but the idea that it is somehow
exceptionally wonderful just doesn't hold.