Re: Using Emacs for business

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Using Emacs for business
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 02:16:05 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>> If you care about money, you should learn a language with
>> a strong presence in the commercial and business world.
>> Python is such a language and Python also has very fast
>> devel time, where even a beginner programmer in Python can
>> get pretty advanced stuff up-and-running in one or two
>> weeks or so.
>
> Any language is like that.

No.

> There is nothing so special about any language, I could
> do it.

No.

> Emacs Lisp has a main advantage of being bundled with the
> editor and thus has nice ready made interfaces. For example,
> I would not like re-inventing the editor. I think that is
> main feature of it.

The editor? I'm talking about programming languages, of course
one should have a good editor for Python - Emacs, just to give
you an example...

> What is common or not, that matters maybe for people who
> apply with companies to get employed.

If you care about getting employed do Python, not Lisp.

> Any language there is may be good for almost anything

???

No!

There are languages that are more powerful than others in
general, there are languages that are powerful in specific
fields, and so on.

>> for example try googling a problem you just encountered in
>> Lisp,
>
> With googling you mean searching Internet? I don't use
> Google, mostly other search engines. And I consider good
> books or manuals more valuable than online searches for
> solutions to specific practical problems.

Jean, I'm not talking about you, I speak of the business
computer world.

>> then do the same in Python, in Python you get tons of
>> quality hits instantly, in Lisp, for an uncommon problem
>> you might not get a single one,
>
> You see, with Lisp I have not have the same urge to search

Again, I'm not talking about you.

> what is popular and not what is practical

Python is popular and practical, Lisp a fringe language and
some of its impractical sides are part of the reason for that.

> Almost any kind of Lisp is just find, including other
> languages, any is fine.

100% incorrect.

A programming language is a tool. To create something any tool
isn't fine, you need a tool that is suited for the purpose.
You need many tools and knowing your tools and picking the
right one is a huge part of the skill of the creator.

You can verify this easily, check out some genre or sub-genre
of computer programs. Modern first person shooters, for
example. What language or languages are they typically
written in?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal