Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 10:17:25 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-06-08 04:21]:
> Eduardo Ochs wrote:
>
> > English is not my first language, but to me "use whatever
> > everyone else is using" seems to imply "don't use niche
> > tools that are used by small groups of very enthusiastic
> > hackers that love them very much".
>
> OK, but what exactly is the hacker alternative to HTTP, HTML,
> and the web, then?

It does not matter if for hacker or not. Hypertext systems existed
long before the WWW.

Org - it has hypertext capacity and is not related to WWW, but can be
published to WWW.

GNU Hyperbole is a hypertext system, it has capacity to build such. It
makes hypertext out of everything.

xref package is specific hypertext system that uses Emacs Lisp

definitions for cross references.

eev - it is hypertext system

Texinfo is hypertext system

Emacs has more of it as built-in, for example `button.el' library for
clickable buttons.

And I am sure I missed some of those.

Outside of Emacs there is so much more.

If somebody knows if I can do more with Texinfo hyperlinks in Emacs
let me know. Maybe I can make those hyperlinks more dynamic, for
example by pressing a and hyperlink, maybe I can get its attributes,
by pressing r and hyperlink maybe I could get relations, by activing I
could go to target and similar, that is what I am looking for, a
hyperlink that can be activated in numerous ways.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman