Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 12:06:30 -0400

On 2021-05-23 09:23, Christopher Dimech wrote:

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-23 15:58]:

> Rather one should realise that the way forward is in not using
> Wolfram Mathematica in the first place.

[...]

Legally, there are no problems for Emacs to be used as an IDE to
proprietary languages.  But their decision to make and use
proprietary software is a decision to stay out of our community.
Being in our community means joining in cooperation with us; we
cannot “bring them into our community” if they don't want to join.

Proprietary software does not contribute to our community, but its
users and developers often want handouts from us.

Hear, hear!

No aid and comfort for the enemy (the "enemy" being proprietary
software).  But you put it more nicely than me.  :)

Personally I think there is far too much attention / mind share paid
towards proprietary software.  Maybe not on this list, nor within the
GNU Project itself (the last bastion), but in general in F/LOSS (well
especially in more "Open Source"[0] circles).  Why give them free
advertising (in addition to the millions $$ some of them have
available to them, and other resources)?

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html