Re: FW: [External] : Re: Why is defun not executed during load-file?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: FW: [External] : Re: Why is defun not executed during load-file?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 16:41:12 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

> Mr. Adams also said:
>
>   If you mean use `defmacro' more or something, then let
>   me be clear that I'm NOT suggesting that.  I'm not
>   suggesting that people should define more Lisp macros.
>
>   In general, don't define a macro if a function will do
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   what you want.
>
>   I just wanted to point out that I think the supposed
>   difficulty or bugginess of defining macros is due partly
>   (largely?) to the fact that we (all of us) write macros
>   much less often than we write functions.

Yeah, but how do you get more experience without doing it?

So then it is all the way back to reality where it is more
difficult and do involve more bugs and more
difficult debugging?

Or should I rephrase it so, macros are more difficult, it
involves more bugs that are harder to fix, except for the
people whose poor judgement and intuition has placed them in
the undesirable situation where they in fact have AS MUCH
experience with defuns as with macros?

Still - doesn't sound right? But difficult to say what Lego
piece is missing. Copenhagen maybe?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal