Re: A survey for Emacs users

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: A survey for Emacs users
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 09:30:33 -0500

Thanks, Jean Louis. I've been using GNU Emacs since probably the mid
to late 80s. I'm familiar with the couple mailing lists and the old
comp.emacs* newsgroups. r/emacs was completely new to me, and I'm not
a big fan of forums unless they are the only choice (they tend to be
closed gardens, for example).

A couple specific points:

> Is the list discoverable? I do not think so. It is well hidden from
> Emacs users.

This list? It's right there on the listinfo page of lists.gnu.org.
Unfortunately, its name separates it from the other Emacs-related
mailing lists. Seems a bit late for a name change at this point,
however.

> Install the package Hyperbole and you may see how they implement that
> users find the mailing list, it is straight in the menu. If user needs
> help, one can click in the menu and write email. Great. And that is
> for package users.

I installed Hyperbole and poked around a bit, but it escapes me how
"users find the mailing list." I see links to Hyperbole-related lists,
but nothing which would point a user to other Emacs resources. I must
be missing something.

Skip