Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 13:40:16 -0700

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
> Today, Lisp Machines and their keyboards are only historical
> keyboards whose use has become academic.

On the contrary - ever since Microsoft introduced extra modifier keys
with the Microsoft Natural Keyboard 104 key layout in 1994 (the only
decent thing I can think to have come from Microsoft), the Lisp
Machine style key bindings and mnemonics became relevant for PCs. The
Lisp Machine style keyboard layout simply provides a better ergonomic
experience, not just for Emacs, but for all programs that make use of
the Control key. It is straightforward to configure the layout for
any PC keyboard. Give it a try:

https://oneofus.la/have-emacs-will-hack/2018-04-08-lisp-machine-keyboard-layout-in-x11.html

--
Vladimir Sedach