Re: gnus with multiple mail accounts

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: gnus with multiple mail accounts
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:15:05 +0200

    Eric> Are you sure it doesn't work just to set host and port in the
    Eric> pseudo-header? Looking at the code, it ought to be setting
    Eric> `smtpmail-stream-type' correctly from the port. I assume you've tried
    Eric> that and it didn't work?

    Robert> Thatʼs a very recent change in emacs-master, and it only work if
you're
    Robert> using the SMTP TLS transport port, which is 465. 587 is the SMTP
    Robert> STARTTLS submission port, and is not covered (I recommend people use
    Robert> 465 whenever possible). Does office365 not support port 465?

Having looked at the code some more, Eric is right, it should all just
work, if smtpmail-stream-type is set to nil or 'starttls. The code
forces TLS for port 465, and falls back to the value of
smtpmail-stream-type otherwise, so itʼs possible you had this set to
'tls, which would explain the error message you saw.

Robert