Re: Incorrect rendering of accented characters in HTML e-mail (Gnus)

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Re: Incorrect rendering of accented characters in HTML e-mail (Gnus)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:53:07 +0200

On Sat 10-Oct-2020 at 16:44:26 +02, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net>
>> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 16:35:05 +0200

>> > How does the character appear in the original HTML?
>>
>> Thanks for your quick response.
>>
>> I don't know if I am inspecting the message correctly, because when I
>> enter the edit mode, all characters appear OK. Therefore, I am not sure
>> if I an seeing the original html.
>
> Can you use some other tool, like wget or curl, to download the text
> as it comes from the server?

I have these tools, but I don't know how to use them to get the text
from the imap server. Since I am using offlineimap, I have the file on
disk and I can compare it before and after the dummy edit I do in Gnus.

For instance, before Gnus reads the message, I have:

,----

<https://unregardstoicien.com/2020/06/20/entretien-avec-stoa-gallica-elen-buzare-et-jerome-robin/>

| Elen Buzaré et Jérôme Robin sont membres fondateurs de l'association
| Stoa Gallica, la première association francophone de stoïcisme, fondée
| le 15 juillet 2017. Ils ont chaleureusement accepté de répondre à
| quelques unes de mes questions.
| --
`----

and after Gnus dummy edit, I have:

,----

`----

>> I have also noticed that the I also have the same issue with non html
>> e-mails.
>
> "Same issue" in what sense?  Is just é replaced by i, or does
> something like that happen with every non-ASCII letter?

The characters are incorrectly displayed. In html I have the é -> i
replacement. In plain text, I have the é replaced by \351.

>> For instance, here is what I see in the article buffer:
>>
>> ,----
>> | \311lodie, qui a rejoint l'\351quipe podcast, me dit que sa soeur, qui a
>> une
>> | formation th\351\342trale, serait disponible ponctuellement pour faire des
>> | voix pour des lectures. Pour le moment on a jamais eu ce besoin mais \347a
>> | peut ouvrir des perspectives.
>> `----
>>
>> (I have replaced the non printable chars with \xxx)
>
> What do you mean by "non printable" here?  Do they look like octal
> escapes or do they look like something else?

When sending the message to the list, Gnus said that these where non
printable characters and I replaced them by the sequence of individual
chars that read as the octal escapes.

> Btw, the above is not UTF-8 encoding, it's Latin-1 encoding.
>
> Does the problem go away if you start Emacs as "emacs -Q"?

I have tried, but with "emacs -Q", Gnus does not find the nnmaildir
groups. So I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks again.