Re: ELisp Multiline Comments

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELisp Multiline Comments
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:46:08 -0400

>    I need to use Multiline Comments in my Elisp Codes so I can insert
>    Org-Mode Commands,
>    and read you can use
>
>    #|
>       Multiline Comment
>    |#
>
>    What are the options

ELisp does not support multiline comments.
You have two options:

- Use `;;` and make sure to either ignore them or strip them when using the
  comments's content:

      ;; Multiline
      ;; Comment

- Use unused arguments, e.g.:

      (defmacro multiline-comment (&rest _) nil)
      (multiline-comment
        Multiline
        Comment
      )

  and then make sure you use those uses of `multiline-comment` only
  occur where an ELisp expression is expected (e.g. not within the
  arglist of a function) and make sure the text of those multiline
  comments corresponds to a valid read syntax of some ELisp data
  (e.g. properly matched parentheses and double quotes (but without
  counting those parens that occur after a semi-colon), no single quote
  just before an open paren, ...).

I'd go with the first option.

        Stefan