Re: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites

From: tomas
Subject: Re: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:31:23 +0200

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 05:24:35AM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

[...]

> OK, with a quote, you make it a list, not a function.
>
> And with a #', you make it a function.
>
> But... isn't it already a function? As in "anonymous
> function"?

Yep.

If the thing following #' is a (lambda ...), then the #' is
redundant. We all know that is a function (it is harmless, though --
as far as redundant things can be considered harmless).

Things become more interesting if the thing coming after #'
is a symbol, like in #'car.

Then we all know we are talking about car's symbol-function.
This allows the human code readers and the compiler to be
smarter about the code.

Cheers
 - t