Re: Making Emacs know of gsi (gambit-c scheme interpreter)

From: Nick Lukashevich
Subject: Re: Making Emacs know of gsi (gambit-c scheme interpreter)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 22:19:50 +0300

Ha! :) I found this page <https://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~gini/1901-07s/emacs_scheme/> on the internet and now I can do M-x run-scheme. :) I will just keep experimenting. But I would love to know anything you might suggest.

This is from Simply Scheme: Introducing Computer Science. Really fun book I am reading :)

   Integrated Editing

The development process can become much more convenient if Scheme and the editor "know about" each other. For example, instead of having to reload an entire file when you change one procedure definition, it's faster if your editor can tell Scheme just the one new definition. There are three general approaches to this integration: First, the editor can be in overall charge, with the Scheme interpreter running under control of the editor. Second, Scheme can be in charge, with the editor running under Scheme's supervision. Third, Scheme and the editor can be separate programs, both running under control of a third program, such as a window system, that allows information to be transferred between them.

If you're using a Unix system, you will be able to take a separate editor program and run Scheme from within that editor. The editor can copy any part of your program into the running Scheme, as if you had typed it to Scheme yourself. We use Jove, a free, small, fast version of EMACS. Most people use the more featureful GNU version of EMACS, which is installed on most Unix systems and available at |ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/| and many mirror sites for download.

Now I can run Scheme interpreter right within Emacs, but I still need to load my files to use procedures I define. So how do I achieve the integration described above? Thank you! :)

By the way, sorry for sending it as yet another email if that's a bad thing.