Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:03:12 -0700

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Maybe this will inspire me to write some code! The nice thing about the
>>> glossary is that it wouldn't have to just be vocabulary. You could just
>>> as easily use it for "every time the car crash is referenced", or
>>> something like that. You'd just have to manually mark the passage in the
>>> original, rather than automated marking by text search.
>>
>> Okay, I've finally implemented this, and pushed a version 0 of a package
>> called org-translate to ELPA. You can see the code here:
>>
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs/elpa.git;a=blob_plain;f=packages/org-translate/org-translate.el;hb=HEAD
>>
>> I'm going to fool with it a bit longer, then make a real release.
>>
>> It basically does what I was describing up-thread: basic segmentation,
>> tracking of correspondences between source and translation text, and
>> maintenance of a glossary for automatic translation.
>>
>> Comments very welcome! I hope it will eventually be used by more people
>> than just me :)
>>
>> Eric
> I am currently translating a book; and have 1/3rd left. I am using my
> own (simplistic) org solution; but I would definitely like to test it.
>
> I have just downloaded it and took a quick look, but I don't have time
> to test it today; will be interesting to try it tomorrow.

Great! Thanks for helping test it. Maybe let me fix up a few things
first -- right now it assumes you haven't started the translation yet,
so it doesn't segment the translation text. That would be easy to add.

The glossary stuff is also pretty rudimentary -- are you keeping a
glossary? What sort of format is it in?

Thanks,
Eric