Re: memory leaks

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: memory leaks
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 17:14:50 +0300

> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 08:47:29 +0530
>
> > Please don't leave such problems unreported.  They will not fix
> > themselves.
>
> The problem is that there is nothing to report except that the RSS is
> growing unreasonably.  In normal operation with all my packages loaded
> emacs wouldn't go beyond around 500M RSS even when running for a week.

When you file a bug report, Emacs collects important information about
your build and the environment in which you run Emacs.  That already
tells the Emacs developers a lot, and can give ideas regarding the
possible reasons.

Then I suggest to tell in your report how many buffers you have in
that session, and what is their total size.

And finally, I'd encourage you to try to describe your use patterns,
especially regarding operations that could require significant amounts
of memory: visiting large file, loading many fonts, creating large
buffers that don't visit files, etc.  If you can afford keeping notes
about what you did immediately prior to RSS becoming significantly
larger, that is even better.

> ATM I have a gtk emacs instance that is running at ~900M RSS, which may
> be an early stage.  If you have any suggestions on how to go about
> debugging GC - it would help in submitting a useful bug repoprt.

I don't think the problem is in GC, and the information about that is
part of the info collected by report-emacs-bug anyway.

Thanks.