Re: Gnus: caching message headers?

From: wgreenhouse
Subject: Re: Gnus: caching message headers?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 13:49:49 -0400

> Gregory Heytings via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Many thanks for your answer.

[...]

> We could do something ad-hoc for nnimap, but yes I'm thinking of
> something more generic. All the header data (what's used to create the
> Summary display) is held in variables that are local to the Summary
> buffer, so in principle there's no reason we couldn't just leave the
> local data in place when we leave the buffer. There are plenty of
> obstacles to making it work correctly, but in principle I don't see why not.

The `agent' functionality might help here, in that it (among other
things) creates an on-disk cache of headers seen in a group handled by
the agent, so that it only needs to download headers again for articles
that have not been seen yet. See (info "(gnus) Agent as Cache") for more
on this.

--wgreenhouse