Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 09:14:06 +0200

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:10:29PM +0200, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:
> >> That might be an emacs-nox thing, perhaps?
> >
> > Your Emacs has to be able to display svg images.
>
> It is a shame that image code in emacs is completely dependent on unsafe
> foreign libraries and tightly coupled with graphics toolkits.

I think there is a misunderstanding. All the functions in 'svg
basically do what you sketch in your mail (i.e. manipulate a dom
as an abstract data structure with an XML representation: so
basically generate and serialize XML) and don't rely on librsvg
et al. (I guess that is what you chastise as "unsafe foreign
library").

Librsvg is used to display the svg in-buffer, as libpng is used
to display PNGs in-buffer. Feel free to re-implement that in
Emacs Lisp ;-)

[...]

> You can then display the generated image in the console using
> https://logand.com/sw/emacs-framebuffer/file/emacs-framebuffer.el.html

That's interesting -- and this is the part librsvg is an alternative
for.

How does the emacs framebuffer work? Can it display images as
parts of a regular Emacs buffer?

Cheers
 - t