Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 19:08:31 +0300

> From: tg@gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund)
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:14:54 +0200
>
> For example, changing the way something as fundamental as regions work
> in a very mature editor is just a bad idea.

It would help if you'd tell what changes in how region works you are
alluding to.  I use Emacs for the last 30 years, and the way region
works for me didn't change at all, AFAICT.  So I'm really puzzled by
what you say here.

> Please respect your users.  I do, and therefore I will not change the
> options of cp, mv, or rm.  I will not push a change for swapping
> operands or memcpy, strcpy, etc.  I will not suggest changing gcc's
> command line options, or "improving" the C syntax it accepts.  And I
> will still let GMP's mpz_add add its operands, and not do a subtract.

Emacs doesn't change such basic traits of its usage, either.  We
haven't changed the command-line options, didn't change the documented
APIs of Emacs primitives in incompatible ways, and '+' still adds,
doesn't subtract.  However, Emacs has several orders of magnitude more
features as aspects than the likes of cp and mv, and as time passes
and the Emacs audience changes, the popular demand for some of them
also changes.

In any case, whenever a backward-incompatible change happens, there's
usually a way, called out in NEWS, to get back old behavior.