Re: How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 10:57:59 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 10:50:39 +0800, "numbchild@gmail.com"
>>>>> <numbchild@gmail.com> said:

    stardiviner> I'm unable to send email with smtpmail.el
    stardiviner> I think it might be because of the internet censorship
firewall in China.
    stardiviner> So I decided to use a proxy for smtpmail. I have not found the
smtpmail
    stardiviner> options for setting proxy. Then I dive into `smtpmail-send-it`
function
    stardiviner> source code. Found it uses `open-network-stream` to send
email. Then the
    stardiviner> question is then how to set a proxy for `open-network-stream`?
I checked
    stardiviner> this function's arguments. No result.

SMTP via a proxy sounds like a bad idea: you give the proxy access to
all your email. Having said that, thereʼs a socks.el which contains
'socks-open-network-stream' that might work for you. Iʼve not tried it
myself.

Robert