help-global

Help analyzing the parsed paths to help reduce the GTAGS size

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Help analyzing the parsed paths to help reduce the GTAGS size
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:34:00 -0400

Hello,

I am using GNU Global to parse a huge project, but the GTAGS file
seems to get much larger than I expect. This file used to be around
5GB but after some updates in the project this file has blown up in
size.

.rw-r--r--   16G kmodi 17 May 19:18 GTAGS
.rw-r--r--   14M kmodi 17 May 19:18 GPATH
.rw-r--r--  7.9M kmodi 17 May 19:18 GRTAGS

Is there a good way to diagnose which paths in the project contribute
to this? Often, gtags crawl into certain paths which I don't typically
care.

If I can get visibility into which paths were parsed, that can help me
reduce the db size too. For example, is there a way to print the GPATH
in plain ascii format?

Thanks!

--
Kaushal Modi