Re: bash man page and FreeBSD mandoc

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: bash man page and FreeBSD mandoc
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 09:53:13 -0400

On 4/29/24 12:43 PM, David Ongaro wrote:
Chet Ramey writes:

On 12/22/18 12:49 AM, Derek Schrock wrote:
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 09:59:16AM EST, Chet Ramey wrote:
This is a macro redefinition fix for an old bug in the BSD and Ultrix man
macros. We can try removing it, since there probably aren't any remaining
systems using them.

Ok, I see that whole block is related to the comment.  So the fix here
would be to remove lines 14 to 38 not just removing the characters?

Yes. The fixed version of that macro still lives on in the Solaris 10
man macros, but the broken ones are probably all gone.

As of now I can still see these control characters included in the man
page of a current bash version (GNU bash, version 5.2.26(1)-release
(aarch64-apple-darwin23.2.0)).

They're commented out, and troff will ignore them. It looks like mandoc
has a problem with characters that should be ignored because they
appear in a commented line. I'd say that's a bug in mandoc.

I suppose we can work around it.
Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/