Re: feature request: use optional memory option code for per process onl

From: Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev
Subject: Re: feature request: use optional memory option code for per process only memory, on newer linux kernels
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 01:04:36 +0200

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021, 00:56 Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 12:51:45AM +0200, Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev wrote:
> > i read in an article vaguely linux just nownincluded a memory code iption
> > for 'memory accessable only by process' or similiar
> > could you please utilize it
>
> Can you give us more details about this -- a URL that describes this
> new feature?  Or even its name, so we could Google it?

i sadly cant find any hint about it in my bookmarks or history, i think
googles bug that is
i think it was in the news about releaee notes for 5.14
it was a BIG_CASE mem tag flag to use

[for 5.16 futex2 may be sheduled, good for ipc]

How does this differ from memory that's allocated the old-fashioned way?

it just as far i read but may not be limited to, mark allocated memory by
kernel interface only accessable by own process ( dunno if its just that )
that makes the whole sound more secure
id use it everywhere
but yea i dunno, there are no benefits for syses without this feature
but i think its a very major feature coding facilities shouldnt miss

How would you propose that bash make use of it?  What benefits does it
> offer?  What would bash do on other platforms where this feature does
> not exist?

i dunno either how would be implented, and dunno if for all or just parts
user specified
'own_map' or something